Champions League: Man City & Real Madrid Draw, 3-3

Defending champions Manchester City went even with Real Madrid in their quarter-final matchup, finishing 3-3 in Bernabeu. City started without star midfielder Kevin de Bruyne who was on the bench ill on Tuesday.

Team Manchester City during the UEFA Champions League

It didn’t take very long for the scoring to get started, with City taking the lead in the just second minute of the match. Bernardo Silva snuck in a 25-yard free-kick around the wall of defenders and past goalkeeper Andriy Lunin to put his team ahead.

The lead didn’t last very long as Real Madrid not only equalized but took the lead 12 minutes later. First Eduardo Camavinga struck one from long range which hit Ruben Dias and fell into the far corner of the goal. Next, Rodrygo got behind the City defence and jabbed on into the net, deflecting off Manuel Akanji’s heel.

Real Madrid went into the half with the lead, 2-1, despite City dominating possession in Bernabeu. It wasn’t until Phil Foden stepped up in the second half that City were able to put the game back on even standing.

The English midfielder was able to find some space in the midfield and found his way just outside the box. He was able to turn and let go a brilliant strike which flew into the top corner of the goal to pull City level.

A few minutes later, City pushed ahead, as left-back Josko Gvardiol cut in to find the far corner once again with an accurate shot, scoring his first goal since joining City this summer.

Madrid wasn’t about to go down easily though, equalizing via Federico Valverde who stunned everyone with a superb volley past the City keeper in the 79th minute. THe game ended with both teams on three goals apiece, setting up an exciting second leg on Wednesday, 17 April at Etihad Stadium.

The last time that Real Madrid visited the Etihad Stadium they were beaten 4-0 in the Champions League semi-finals.

One big cause for concern for City was Foden seen hobbling late in the game after a tackle on his ankle. Foden has been integral in keeping City on pace in the English Premier League and will be needed if they plan on making a run for the Champions League title as well.

Arsenal Draw 2-2 Against Bayern Munich

In other Champions League quarter-finals action, Arsenal hosted Bayern Munich at Emirates Stadium. The match ended in a 2-2 draw which gives Bayern a slight advantage heading into the second leg in Germany.

One of the main storylines of the match was Harry Kane’s return to north London after moving from Tottenham. Kane received a hostile reception from the crowd but was able to score via  penalty in the 32nd minute to give his team the lead.

It was Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka however that got the scoreboard moving, as he finished low  past the Bayern goalkeeper to put them ahead after only 12 minutes. Just six minutes later though, former Arsenal forward Serge Gnabry was able to sneak home an equalizer to level out the match 1-1.

It was then Kane’s turn to make a mark after William Saliba tripped Leroy Sane in the box. The England captain made easy work of the spot-kick to score his 15th goal in 20 appearances against Arsenal.

It looked like Bayern would steal the game until substitute Leandro Trossard scored in the 76th minute to draw the scores up once again. He was the beneficiary of a terrific pass by Gabriel Jesus.

Nearing the end of the match there were a couple of close calls with penalties but in the end the referees waved away all appeals. In the end, Bayern will be happy with the result as they head back home for the second leg which is scheduled for Wednesday, 17 April.

Bayern has been in poor form as of late in the Bundesliga but were able to put the results behind them and compete with one of the best EPL teams. If they can get through Arsenal, they might just be able to push the momentum into the backend of the competition.