Betting Sites in Nigeria
The online sports betting cosmos of Nigeria is now home to several operators that entice with generous welcome offers and other perks. Are all of them recommended? Which are the best betting sites worth considering in Nigeria? This guide will help you to identify the best bookmakers in Nigeria. We also share key information regarding the sports betting-related legislation in Nigeria, how to bet, and how you can boost your betting experiences.
What Are the Best Betting Sites in 2021?
The following table provides a list of the best betting sites in Nigeria that tick all of our boxes, so you have an idea of where to start with your online sports betting adventures.
|Best Betting Sites|
|Welcome Bonus||200% up to 100 000₦||100% up to N100,000||100% match up to ₦100,000|
Sports Betting in Nigeria
You will find out whether sports betting is legal in the country or not, as well as the best betting sites in Nigeria. We have summarised the top three betting companies in Nigeria worth your try, after carefully assessing all the best online betting sites that serve Nigerian players.
Is Sports Betting Legal in NG?
Nigeria was largely unregulated up until the late 20th century. However, as lotteries and betting became increasingly popular in Nigeria, the Nigerian government decided to enact gambling laws to monitor and regulate the activities of gamblers and gambling operators in the country. For the same reason, it set up regulatory bodies. The 1977 Gaming Machines Act banned the operation, ownership, and importation of gaming machines within the country. Nevertheless, the distinction between the legal and illegal forms of gambling came with the Criminal Code Act of 1990.
Today, the 2004 Lagos State Lottery Law and the 2005 National Lottery Act are the most relevant laws that oversee gambling in the country. Their goal? To help the government ensure that betting sites provide the proper amount of gambling taxes. Also, to keep an eye on Nigerian players’ security and control the Nigerian online gambling environment.
According to legal experts in Nigeria, online sports betting is legal in Nigeria. In fact, it is regulated by more than one body. This means that you do not run any risk of legal prosecution when trying out online betting. That being said, the online betting landscape has some grey areas as to whether all forms of online gambling are legal. It appears that the law does not explicitly provide a clear answer to that, especially when it comes to online casinos.
In general, any sports betting sites in Nigeria that are licensed by the Lagos State Lottery Board or the National Lottery Regulatory Commission are safe to bet on (and perfectly legal, of course). This is because the regulatory bodies put the bet sites in Nigeria through strict examinations to make sure they are financially stable, secure, and reliable. Some of the sport betting sites that are licensed by both bodies are Bet9ja, Betway, and 1xbet.
What About Online Gambling?
Are the governing bodies and lawmakers okay with bookies operating an online casino? The law is still silent when it comes to online casinos. Although no law has been enacted that says they are illegal, there is also no ruling that they are legal either. Yes, many licensed operators run online casinos openly without facing penalties, but that’s not for us to say that they are, indeed, legal.
How We Picked Our Best Betting Sites
We have come up with the Best 3 list of betting companies in Nigeria after analysing various criteria and testing the operators’ different services. We took into consideration key aspects that contribute to players’ best experiences, including:
- The offered bonuses
- The available promotions for both new and existing customers
- The Customer Service
- The mobile site, and more
Although this is, indeed, a list of online betting sites you can benefit from, the final choice remains yours. You get to decide which bookmakers you wish to register with.
- Bet9ja Promotion Code: SPORTMAX
Bet9ja ReviewBet9ja is an excellent online bookmaker offering a wide selection of sports betting markets with a safe and secure system. Expect to find up-to-date features for mobile and an easy-to-use platform, Be sure to use your Bet9ja promotion code, SPORTMAX, to get even more out of the experience and to maximise your gains. Enter your Bet9ja bonus code and start betting now.
- Min. deposit: 100N. Stake full deposit at odds of at least 3.00. Full terms and conditions apply.
- 1xBet promo code: MAXSPORT
Our Review of 1xBetIf you're looking for a bookmaker with a plethora of sports betting markets, features like live betting, live streaming, and cash out, a generous welcome bonus, and offers that will give them a hard time deciding which to choose, you should seriously consider registering with 1XBet. Use our promo code at sign-up to receive the exclusive welcome bonus!
- Wagering: Bonus + Deposit 5 times in accumulator bets, each containing min 3 events at odds greater than 1.40.
- 100% Bonus of up to ₦100,000
Our Review of BetwayThis operator comes with many perks: Multiple markets and sports leagues, a great app, multiple payment methods and an enticing welcome offer. Get a 100% first deposit bonus by depositing at least ₦100 in order to receive a deposit match of up to ₦100,000 as a Free Bet.
- 18+. T&C Apply.
Ogabet99 /100Ogabet Promo Code
Our Review of OgabetThis Nigerian sportsbook is a trustworthy operator covering a wide range of sport betting markets. The OgaBet promo code gives you access to a great welcome bonus and other betting perks and opportunities.
- Full terms and conditions apply.
- Get a ₦200 Risk-Free BetNew 18+ customers only. Offer applies only to sports betting, live sports betting, and virtual sports. Minimum odds are 3.0. Maximum refund is ₦200. Full Terms and Conditions apply. Visit siteOur Review of InterwettenInterwetten is a trustworthy operator that has a lot to offer. Those who feel like experimenting with this brand will find tons of great deals, top Interwetten odds and sports wagering markets. The Interwetten bonus code, with which you can get a risk-free bet, gives new users security and insurance, making the betting experience even better. If you love more exciting wagering such as live betting or even virtual betting, you will be able to find it here, too. And for those who love playing on the go, this brand has an Android mobile app with all the same features as their online sportsbook.
- 100% up to ₦ 60,000 Bonus + 22 Bet Points*Only one 100% first deposit bonus per customer. To receive the bonus, customers must deposit a minimum of 1 EUR / 1 USD etc. Maximum bonus amount is 50,000 NGN for sports betting and 130,000 NGN for the casino. Once credited, the bonus cannot be transferred between bonus accounts. Withdrawal of funds from the customer account will only be possible after the bonus has been redeemed (wagered). If the bonus is credited to the bonus account for sports betting, the wagering requirement will be 5x the bonus amount in accumulator bets. Each accumulator bet must contain at least three selections. At least three selections in each accumulator must have odds of 1.40 or higher. The bonus is deemed to have been wagered only after all the bets for the specified amount have been settled. Visit siteOur Review of 22BetSports betting enthusiasts will be happy to know that 22Bet provides a fantastic selection of available betting markets. New players can claim a fantastic welcome offer and in addition, there are several other promos that existing customers can pursue. They are surely worth checking out. It’s nice to see that this brand rewards its loyal customers with special offers they can pursue. The sportsbook is on par with what all the top bookmakers nowadays have to offer. All the fan favourites are included, and there are even some niche markets, which was very refreshing to see.
Nairabet95 /100Get 100% of your stake in Free betsOffer available to only Verified accounts for our online customers. You are required to make a minimum bet of four selection accumulator. Minimum selection odds of 1.2 on each selection (no game must be below 1.2 odds). Minimum Bet-slip odds 2.5. NairaBET will award 100% of your stake into the Free bet account (not main/primary account). Bonuses can only be used for sports betting (you can’t withdraw your awards; you can only bet with them). The minimum award is 50, while the maximum is 10,000. The award of free-bet is valid for six(6) hours after it is awarded. Full terms and conditions applyOur Review of NairabetThis is an excellent bookmaker with a wide range of betting markets that accommodates different sports tastes. The NairaBET promo code is easy to use and offers a generous return bonus. In case you lose a bet there are safety measures in place, and you can receive back 10% of your lost bet. While the lack of live streaming is disappointing, the range of ‘In Play’ betting markets and the ability to cash out mid-match ensures bettors are always available. All in all, NairaBET is a great choice
Betting Bonus and Free Bets
All sport betting sites in Nigeria and across the world try to entice new customers. Part of the way they try to achieve that is through offering interesting welcome bonuses. You will rarely find betting sites in Nigeria and abroad that don’t host a welcome promo of some sort. In the online betting cosmos, this usually means offers that give free bets.
Free bets give you the chance to place a bet up to a specific total value (the one determined by the free bet bonus). Note that with a free bet offer, you can place a bet either in full or in part. If your bet wins, you get paid out the net winnings on it ( your profit from it). This means that the original free bet stake is not returned to you. This is the major difference between a free bet and a regular bet. To qualify for one, you usually need to create a new account with the bookie.
Now, depending on the offer terms and conditions, you may be able to claim free bets without even funding your account. However, the majority of online sports betting platforms require that you make a qualifying deposit first and then use your free bet(s) to place a qualifying bet (or bets) before you receive your winnings from the free bet. Ensure you always read the free bet bonus terms and conditions before you claim and use it. Details like geographical restrictions and wagering requirements should be looked out for.
Besides free bets, punters are also offered promos such as guaranteed odds, price boosts, combo deals (i.e., free bets and free casino spins), and more. And, let’s not forget the Loyalty programs. They usually entice with exclusive offers, including reload bonuses, tickets to various sporting events, and more.
|Best Online Bookmakers||Betting Bonus|
|1xBet||200% Bonus up to NGN 130 000|
|Bet9ja||100% bonus up to NGN 100,000|
Top Betting Sites
Of all the betting sites in Nigeria, Bet9ja and 1xbet stand out. We cannot say whether Bet9ja is the best betting company in Nigeria or 1xbet is the top betting site in Nigeria. They are both equally famous and well reputed bookmakers offering exceptional Africa betting experiences to both new and existing players.
Bet9ja holds a Lagos State Lotteries Board license and offers sports betting in Nigeria, as well as a casino, virtual games, and live betting. Plus, plenty of weekly jackpots (see Super9ja) to win millions of Naira, and a wide range of sporting events (10,000+ betting options), including African football, tennis, and ice hockey. It is also one of the best basketball betting sites in the country that offers ante-post betting and live betting.
1xBet, on the other hand, completes every betting site list of the top bookmakers to try. The operator has a National License and provides one of the widest lines of sports betting in Nigeria. Also, odds on various areas of life, such as politics, music, and cinema. It hosts over 1000 events on a daily basis across 60+ sports. Plus, it has a nice selection of online games, as well as Poker, Lottery, Lotto, and Bingo clients, among others.
|License||Lagos State Lotteries Board||National License|
|Betting markets||10,000+ options||1000 events per day|
|Sports covered||30+ sports||60+ sports|
|Visit||Visit Bet9ja||Visit 1xBET|
New Betting Sites
New operators have entered the local market, aspiring to claim their fair share from the Nigeria online betting pie. Makes sense, given that online betting in Nigeria is becoming more popular by the day. Three of the most prominent new betting sites in Nigeria are:
- Ogabet – It comes forward with an attractive match deposit welcome offer. It also pampers with 20 different betting markets, live streaming, live betting, virtual sports, a wealth of payment options, a great mobile site and app, and a fast Customer Service department.
- Interwetten – It has recently rolled out sports betting in Nigeria and has quickly become one of the best new betting sites in the country. Licensed by the National Lottery Regulatory Commission, the Vienna-founded operator serves up a mobile-first product portfolio of esports betting, virtual sports, live sports betting, and pre-match betting.
- Marathonbet – One of the few betting sites in Nigeria that rarely offer sign-up bonuses. However, the trade-off is impressive, as players get to receive exceptionally high odds. Several special features, such as the AdvanceBet enables punters to bet with the value of their unsettled bets, which is exciting. The operator may as well become the best betting site in Nigeria. Great sports coverage, a really long list of betting markets, and a wealth of live events make it stand out.
Chances are we’ll be seeing these operators entering a Top 10 betting sites in Nigeria list soon, given their popularity and offered features, services, and perks.
Your Sports Betting Guide for Nigeria
This section will provide you with details to help you place a bet. You will understand where to find bets and what you need to do to facilitate your bet. We also share tips on how to make a real-money bet and collect your winnings. Want more tips about betting in Nigeria? We have got you covered as well with this guide.
Betting tips are bets (predictions) suggested by expert tipsters that constantly scour the markets to find bets offering the best odds that could potentially boost your bankroll. This could be the bookmaker itself or a 3rd party. Although not all betting tips hit, they guarantee a good amount of profit. Betting tipsters also suggest markets and sports events that could be superb sources of value and may even offer things like bets of the day and more.
Just a simple Google search using the term “betting tips” will serve you with tons of sites that provide such insight. In fact, you can get a hold of information about any sporting event and betting markets, from football and basketball to horse racing and the NFL. So, whatever bet you wish to place, being aware of betting tips related to the sport or event you want to bet on will give you a sweet heads up.
The term betting odds represents the percentage probability of an event that is about to take place (or not occurring). In other words, which athlete, horse, or team has the highest winning probability. There are three main types of betting odds, which all present the same thing only in a different way:
- European (decimal) odds – The amount a player wins for every dollar they wager.
- British (fractional) odds – The ratio of the profit won to the stake.
- American (moneyline) odds – The amount a punter would win for every $100 they stake or the sum they must wager to win $100 (depending on the positive or negative sign of the provided odds).
Remember that the displayed odds do not reflect the true chance or probability of an occurring (or not occurring) event. All betting sites in Nigeria add a profit margin in the offered odds. This means that your payout, if your bet wins, is always less than what you would get if your bet’s odds reflected the true probabilities.
What is important for punters is to always compare odds. The most reputed betting companies allow you to change between the three types of odds mentioned above on their markets. Or, you may use an online odds calculator or convertor to calculate your payout before placing a bet, especially if you are laying bets on several different sports at a time.
Of course, it is paramount to know how to read odds. In general, the highest odds go to whoever is considered to be the most likely to win. Low odds also mean that the event will probably not take place. However, the lower odds (meaning, betting on the underdog) return a higher profit. So, the riskier a bet, the higher its potential reward.
When reading odds at the horse track, the odds reveal the profit you will make for every dollar you spend and that fractions greater than one mean that you are dealing with an underdog.
Moneyline odds, on the other hand, only concern the team that will win the game. Positive odds indicate how much profit you can make for every $100 you spend while negative odds indicate how much you must spend to make $100.
Many websites do all the hard work for you and present the best odds for the most popular events and leagues. Some platforms even offer odds comparison tools to make your search for the most profitable (potentially) bet easier.
Football Betting Sites
Pool staking and betting have always been the preferred way of gambling in the country. Nevertheless, it had nothing to do with sports betting until recently. In the past few years, there has been a rapid increase in online sports betting. This could be attributed to the continuously growing list of available betting sites in Nigeria that have grown in popularity. And, given that Nigerians are loyal fans of football, it comes as no surprise that all betting sites in Nigeria allow betting on football league matches. With a particular focus on the Nigerian Premier League, as well as other international tournaments, such as the FIFA World Cup and the English Premier League, you won’t find an operator considered the best betting site in Nigeria without highly competitive football betting markets. It is estimated that about 60 million young Nigerians spend around 30,000 Naira daily on sports betting! Although there are many operators with enticing football betting platforms, the best betting site in Nigeria is Bet9ja, followed closely by 1xbet.
Betting Sites in Nigeria – F.A.Q
This final section provides answers to the most commonly asked questions about betting in Nigeria.
What do I need to register on a betting site in Nigeria?
According to most bookmakers’ terms and conditions, it is important to be a Nigerian resident over 18 years of age. Check the terms and conditions of the operator you wish to register with for full details.
How do I register with an online bookmaker in Nigeria?
If you meet the bookmaker’s qualifying criteria, you only need to fill out the online registration form each operator has. There should be a Register or Sign Up button on the bookie’s homepage to initiate the sign-up process. Ensure you provide the correct details, though, as you will be asked to verify your account later so you can play and withdraw your winnings.
How to place a bet?
First, fund your account after you create one. Then, head to the sport or event you wish to bet on and see the available options. Choose the one that suits you best.
What is live betting?
Also referred to as in-play betting, live betting enables you to place bets on an ongoing event.
How to search for bets?
You log in to your account, click My Account (or relevant option), and then filter the available options by date, event, or another way.
Is sports betting legal in Nigeria?
According to the current laws, yes.
Is it legal to play casino games in Nigeria?
The law is blurry on this matter. However, most licensed betting sites in Nigeria also host a Casino client. So, if there is an online casino on an operator’s platform, you could probably play there, too.