World Cup Match Predictions: Portugal vs Switzerland: Qualification for Portugal | Round of 16 – 6/12/22

The Portuguese made their way through the group stages without difficulty thanks to their quality in every position. In spite of this, they were scared for a moment against Ghana (3-2). Following this, they overcame Uruguay (2-0), with a superb performance by Bruno Fernandes. They finished the group phase on a more lacklustre note, losing 2-1 to South Korea. However, the A team was not playing in this match.

Switzerland struggled to qualify for the round of 16. They started with a solid 1-0 win against Cameroon. Then they had difficulty managing Brazilโ€™s numerous offensive players, but still qualified thanks to an exceptional match against Serbia, which they won 3-2.

Portugal vs Switzerland: Portugal has more quality in every position

On paper, the Portuguese have a fabulous team, with an attacking lineup consisting of CR7, Bruno Fernandes, who got the double against Uruguay, and Joao Felix. At the heart of the game, Bernardo Silva will use all of his ability to make important passes for offensive plays. To round things out, Ruben Dias will keep the defence feeling confident. The only black spot is Nuno Mendesโ€™ injury, which will force him to miss the rest of the competition.

The Swiss donโ€™t have quite as much quality on the field. However, their engagement in the game could allow them to get ahead. They will be counting on Monaco player Embolo to hit the back of the Portuguese net. Whatโ€™s more, Xherdan Shaqiri seems to be back on form in this World Cup. In the midfield, the experienced Granit Xhaka will have a huge impact. The defence will be led by Machester City player Akanji.

Face to Face: Portugal vs Switzerland

Since 2008, these two teams have faced off 6 times, ending in 3 victories for Switzerland and 3 for Portugal. In the 2008 Euro, Switzerland won 2-0. The following encounter between the two teams took place in the 2018 World Cup qualifiers. Portugal and Switzerland had then both come away with a win over the other. Their 3 subsequent encounters took place in the Nations League, with 2 wins in favour of Portugal, and the most recent match going to Switzerland (2-0).

However, the Portuguese are the favourites with a 51% chance to win, with the possibility of a draw having a 28% chance and a Swiss victory, 21%.

Portugal vs Switzerland: A classic formation for both teams

Portugal will most likely use the 4-3-1-2 formation, with Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes and Cristiano Ronaldo as the key players. Notable is the 5h3 absence of Nuno Mendes, who is injured and has had to leave the Portuguese squad.

The Swiss will use a 4-2-3-1 formation, and the important players will be Manuel Akanji, Granit Xhaka, Xherdan Shaqiri and Breel Embolo.

The keys to the encounter: Will the Swiss defence be able to contain the Portuguese offence?

The Portuguese will be able to count on an enormous offensive arsenal and this will be the determining factor in this matchup. They will be ready to play against an experienced team that leaves very little space. The key to the match could be their midfielders, Bruno Fernandes and Bernardo Silva, who may be able to break through the Swiss defence with some dribbling or a well-placed pass.

Switzerland will boldly try its luck against Portugal. Their players are experienced and will be looking their opponents right in the eyes. For the Swiss, Breel Embolo will be the key to the match. There is a clear lack of effectiveness in this encounter, and if he can fill this gap, the Swiss might just get the win.

Other predictions worth a shot in this Portugal Switzerland at 8 pm:

The Portuguese are the favourites in this encounter. They should be able to take the match after 90 minutes. However, we see the Swiss giving them trouble and scoring at least one goal. On the Portuguese side, keep an eye on Christiano Ronaldo who could well rise to the occasion from the start of the final phase. As such, we see the match finishing on a score of 2-1 or 3-1.